Monday, January 7, 2013

For Michelle

My friend Michelle died on June 14th, 2012. This polish is a tribute to her.

I met Michelle at work. To be honest I wasn't particuarly fond of her at first, but over time we bonded over our love of dogs and our confusion about the actions of the men. I came to appreciate her distinct voice and laugh and her quirkiness. She was energetic, straightforward, intelligent, fun-loving, and a genuinely sweet person at heart.

Eventually Michelle left my team, but her new job kept her in the same office complex. We'd see each other in the halls occasionally and chat--always insisting that we needed to get together for happy hour soon! Those happy hours were few and far between, but I cherished them. She was the perfect "girly talk" friend.

Her death was a shock to me for many reasons. I'll never forget the date because she was supposed be a guest at my graduation party/surprise wedding on the 15th. I noted her absence that evening--she wasn't the type of person to be a no-show without telling someone--but thankfully no one told me until the next day.

The weeks following her death were an emotional roller coaster. I finally got my bachelor's degree, and married my best friend! I was embarking on a new business venture! But I struggled with her passing. We were the same age, in the same career field. She always had smiles and kind words for  those around her and seemed to take everything going on in her personal life in stride. I don't think I'll ever be able to reconcile the circumstances of her death.

I didn't have a name for the company when Michelle died, but one name kept running through my mind: Maya. Maya is the name of Michelle's dog--puppy at the time--and my friends and I often wondered what happened to her (I still wonder...I hope she's safe and in a loving home). Once I started considering that name for the company, I looked up meanings for Maya and found that in Hinduism it (very simply) means "illusion," in the sense that the physical world is an illusion. This really spoke to me because of the emotions I felt at the time. So, Maya Cosmetics was born.

I've wanted to do this polish from the start. I've done at least four different versions of it and I don't know if I'm SO set on this polish being 100% perfect or if I've been procrastinating about this post...but here it is, finally: For Michelle.


I'll never claim that Michelle and I were BEST friends. I'm not even sure red was her favorite color. But she looked stunning in red, so I couldn't imagine this polish being anything but.

red w/ pink and silver shimmer, taken in direct sunlight
Michelle's family asked that donations be sent in her name to the Wounded Warriors Project or the Fisher House Foundation. In rememberance of her, all profits from the sales of For Michelle will be split between those two organizations.

all swatches are two coats of For Michelle, plus topcoat
I know this was a long post, but this polish is extra special to me. I appreciate anyone who stuck through it all, and I hope you take the time today to let someone you care about know how much they mean to you.

Michelle, you are missed.

Kat

*For Michelle will be available January 10th. 

2 comments:

  1. Very touching, Kat. No wonder you wanted it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a touching story. Beautiful polish. My birthday is June 14th so I need this polish. Bonus it's for 2 charities

    ReplyDelete